Wednesday 21 February 2018

POETS UNITED - VOICE

“You have no choice. You must leave your ego on the doorstep before you enter love.” ― Kamand Kojouri

For this week’s Midweek Motif, Poets United is exploring the theme of “Voice”. Here is my offering: 

The Silent Telephone

Waiting for a promised call
By the silent telephone
While the sky rotates up above
And the stars laugh mockingly.

Waiting for the silent ‘phone to ring
Watching the clock mark time so slowly,
While the moon hides behind a cloud
And her face thankfully is obscured.

Waiting for your honeyed voice
Once more to drug me,
While my flesh pains me
Its unfeeling inertness a wound incurable.

Waiting for morning light
Waiting for the night to end
Your promised call a slender, sickly hope
Losing more of its tenuous life each passing second.

My life away from you, no life,
An empty waiting game, a vacuum;
Your call, your promised call,
How far away it seems
As endlessly I wait
By the silent telephone,
And as your voice’s drug is lacking
I face the terrors of withdrawal...

8 comments:

  1. Whew! That silence draws a mighty thin line between fulfillment and terror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The image of the mocking stars is as beautiful, stunning and painful. A lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An overwhemingly passionate overpowering and moving love poem.One of your best.The suffering that ensues is palpable. I think you have achieved a kind of bel canto of poetry here. Just two words...bloody marvellous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the pain of waiting for that call........this poem is wonderfully written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting for a telephone call can be so hard. I like the final lines:
    'And as your voice’s drug is lacking
    I face the terrors of withdrawal...'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow !!! those stars luv that bit of imagery

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so good Nicholas, the pain the withdrawal is palpable.
    I remember the pain of waiting too, for that call that never happened...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  8. The image of the mocking stars is both beautiful and painful at the same time.. sigh.. Beautifully penned.

    ReplyDelete